Wednesday, March 25, 2009

What a good patient

Last week was a little tough for Samantha. Last Tuesday, she came home from school with a headache. It was warm last week and so I told her to drink some water and rest. She said she felt a little better. She was supposed to have a play date the next day and so I think she was trying really hard to feel good. Wednesday morning she woke up and looked sick. I took her temp and it was 99 degrees which is not super high but it meant that she had to stay home. Needless to say, she was so upset that her friend couldn't come and play. As the day progressed, she looked sicker and sicker. Samantha is such a good sick kid. She just deals with it. Her fever began to rise on Motrin and was up to 102.7. I thought I would watch it for the day and see how she was the next morning. Her fever was still high and so I called the doctor. They said to watch her through the day to see how she would do. I did schedule and appointment for the next day just in case. Boy am I glad I did that. That night and morning her breathing became really labored. I knew that she had more that just a fever. My thought was pneumonia. So Friday I took her into the doctor. He listened to her lungs and could hear the crackling. He tested her O2 stats and they were a little low. I looked at him and said "were off to the hospital for an x-ray, aren't we?" He said "you sure are." The doctors office is right next to the hospital so Sam and I walked over. We were in and out so quickly! Sam did a great job and was excited to see her lungs from the x-ray. Sure enough she had walking pneumonia. The doctor gave us a prescription for antibiotics and off to the pharmacy we went.
Here is the first day of her breathing treatments. She had to this every 6 hours.

Take notice of her patient stickers from the hospital. She is doing so much better now and is happy to have her play date today. She takes an art class and so her friend gets to go with her today. We are so happy she is feeling better. I am grateful she is such a good patient. The poor kid still had to be dragged around town trying to pick up the other kids.


No comments: